There is a direct and causal relationship between state fragility, violent conflict and low levels of development. In response, countries affected by conflict and fragility are increasingly the focus of international assistance. The OECD estimates that per capita Official Development Assistance (ODA) to fragile states has almost doubled since 2000. These countries have received 53% of the total ODA allocated since 2007.
Scanteam works extensively in fragile states, situations affected by violent conflict and in countries undergoing political transition.
We help our clients enter and then operate in fragile and conflict-affected situations, with:
- Analysis, risk assessment and field-based studies and research, to support decision-making in the early phases of programme development.
- Ongoing appraisals, support to strategy and programme development and monitoring activities, to strengthen relevance and effectiveness.
- Mid-term review, final evaluation and policy-relevant lessons learned exercises, at key milestones during implementation.
We lead the design of Multi-Donor/Partner Funds, and other pooled funding mechanisms:
- Scanteam is fluent with the systems and procedures used by the United Nations, the World Bank and bilateral Donors. We also work with funds and programmes managed by private service providers.
- We can lead or participate in the complete fund or programme cycle, from concept development through to the start-up and closure of operations. We are experienced with the design of governance and management architecture, and with engaging broad stakeholder groups.
- During operations, Scanteam provides ongoing mentoring and advice.
- We conduct appraisals, mid-term reviews, final evaluations and lessons learned exercises, of outcomes and the efficiency of governance, management and operational bodies.
We offer design, research and evaluation services on the UNSCR 1325-agenda on Women, Peace and Security.
Scanteam aspires to be a forum for innovation and good practice for international assistance in situations of conflict and fragility. Our work is guided by the UN Sustainable Development Goals 2015- 2030, which provide a new framework for understanding the multiple dimensions of fragility.
We have proven experience with a broad range of methodologies and tools, from the OCED DAC, the World Bank, United Nations and bilateral donors, international non-governmental and civil society organisations. We adapt and innovate according to the requirements of each assignment.
Scanteam promotes collective action, between the international community, host governments, civil society and affected populations, and with the private sector.